Finding Opportunites in Challenges
Supporting the Waste Management Sector
Our professional engineers and environmental experts have provided world-leading advisory, environmental and engineering consulting services to the waste management industry for two decades.
Our integrated, multidisciplinary teams from the UK, Ireland and the Middle East:
- Design waste facilities (landfill and waste treatment)
- Assist with permitting and environmental compliance
- Support clients when operating waste management facilities whilst protecting communities and the environment
- Advise public and private bodies
We operate across the commercial, industrial, municipal, radiological, construction and renewable energy sectors. We also provide our clients with practical training and workshops in specialist areas such as landfill engineering, geotechnics, geosynthetics installation, monitoring, compliance and sustainability. For example, we are contracted to the UK Environment Agency to provide their staff with training in Advanced Landfill Engineering.
Supporting clients throughout the entire lifecycle of waste management and their facilities:
- New site evaluation
- Detailed design of hazardous and non-hazardous waste facilities
- Operations and permit compliance
- Environmental assessment studies and securing regulatory permits
- Construction support, including contract management, works supervision and Construction Quality Assurance (CQA) services
- Monitoring programmes to analyse impacts to the environment and surrounding ecosystems
- At the end of the facility's lifecycle - we assist in closure, permit surrender and site remediation
Design and Delivery of Global Landfill Expertise
We have successfully supported the delivery of some of the most significant landfill development projects globally, including the 18 million cubic metre capacity triple-landfill complex at Oman's Sohar Industrial Waste Handling and Treatment Facility (IWHTF). We undertook extensive environmental studies, designed the 30-year site masterplan, prepared detailed designs for and supervised the construction of Class I hazardous, Class II Non-hazardous and Inert landfills developed at the facility. We also designed the 400,000 m3 earthworks to prepare the construction platform for the multiple waste treatment facilities to be set at this site. A project of this scale requires meticulous planning and construction sequencing of the earthworks, infrastructure, complex geosynthetics installation and leachate management lagoons. Reflecting the scale and scope of this contract, we also provided comprehensive project management and technical services suite, including site investigations, construction specifications, site-based construction support (including CQA), and operational, environmental monitoring, and closure plans. Thorough investigations are vital to delivering the optimum design, with our team conducting hydrogeological risk assessments, surface water management studies and geotechnical risk assessments to inform the design.
Waste Management Solutions
ByrneLooby advises private and public-sector clients on a full range of waste management solutions, including minimisation, recycling, treatment, disposal and energy recovery.
The waste sector is one of the most highly regulated and challenging business environments; many of our senior staff have over 25 years of experience supporting our clients through the whole waste management lifecycle. Our in-house team of experts in this field includes waste permitting specialists, chemists, hydrogeologists, geotechnical and civil engineers, geologists, ecologists, solid and liquid waste treatment specialists, gas management experts, waste planners, environmental and social impact assessment consultants, environment monitoring technicians and auditors.
Unlocking Commercial Opportunities in Former Landfill sites
Our waste team help unlock commercial opportunities by assisting clients to reuse, recycle or recover resources from waste. Our teams also recommend solutions to treat waste, thus reducing any environmental impacts. In addition, we have extensive experience and expertise in the remediation of former landfills to prevent pollution or to support clients who wish to bring the land back into productive use.
Our range of expertise covers the entire waste collection and disposal cycle and all types of waste:
- Industrial including the construction industry
- Low-level radioactive wastes
- Waste handling, treatment and disposal facilities (including those for solid and liquid hazardous wastes)
Our experts provide a wide range of training courses relating to waste management, environmental assessment, geotechnics and sustainability. Many of the technical courses are endorsed by the Geological Society and count towards CPD. In addition, we are contracted to the UK Environment Agency to provide their staff with training in Advanced Landfill Engineering. We run our training courses as interactive workshops, but we can create bespoke learning programmes and styles, as required.
Please contact us here about our training workshops.
•Environmental permitting services
• Environmental monitoring and permit compliance services
• Waste treatment facility design
• Landfill facility design
• Landfill remediation design
• Contract procurement and project Management
• Other site support services
• Advanced landfill engineering
• Earthworks design and supervision
• Installation of geosynthetics
• Landfill stability risk assessment
• Slope stability to EC7
• Soil and rock descriptions to BS5930 (1-day workshops)
• Stakeholder workshops
• Sustainability awareness
• Sustainable procurement in construction
• Use of geosynthetics in design
• Waste classification and coding