St. Lawrence, Mereworth
Built in 1740, St. Lawrence Church is a Grade 1 listed building located in Mereworth. It is almost exactly in it's original built state and contains very fine interiors and a remarkable tower and spire. St. Lawrence Church is surrounded by an historic graveyard, initiating a new scheme to allow for access to the tower and spire, without impinging on either the tombstones or on the roof and portico. The inspecting Architect had identified spalling of the stone in the tower and spire, and our team of conservation experts at ByrneLooby London were engaged to advise.
ByrneLooby London carried out a detailed inspection, while a large part of the stone itself is durable, there were large areas or quantities of in-built ironwork cramps and tie bars within the masonry. Corrosion of these and the consequent expansion was causing spalling. Research on the building materials was undertaken and detailed consideration was given to whether tie bars could be removed, and how to counteract the circumferential forces from the spire. Work was carried out by specialist contractors according to detailed designs prepared. On completion, the building in this case, is repaired with the matching stonework of the same kind, without any apparent modern intervention and the stainless steel is completely concealed.