Lower Turnant Farm, Hereford
This Grade II listed farmhouse, built about 1730, was found in a derelict condition. Parts of the roof were missing, the timber framing was decayed, and the timber framed east gable was sheeted with corrugated iron and chicken wire.
ByrneLooby Partners, SinclairJohnston advised on the structural alterations of the extensive repairs to the floor and roof timbers. The ancient roof timbers have been repaired and strengthened and the roof re-covered with the exceptionally heavy local stone tiles. The splendid east gable truss is now visible – and protected and secure – behind a great glass triangular window.
Since there is not space for separate bathrooms, each of the three bedrooms now has a “pod” formed in brightly coloured sheet metal, seated on the original timber floor structure. To prove the load capacity under the heaviest pod, the existing array of floor beams was strengthened and then subjected to load test.